Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Not what I was trying for

As I started this blogging effort it was my hope that this could be a place of dialogue. There is way too much pontificating (I like that word) going on in our world already. The last thing we need is another preacher that wants to weigh in on everything. I wanted to propose ways we might think together. It seems quite Quakerly to trust that God can speak to all of us and through any of us that work at discerning God's voice. Well, apparently this blog site was not designed with Quaker principles in mind. I began to hear about how difficult it was to be able to post comments because some kind of account needed to be set up. Turns out there are some protocols that are connected to my blog that I need to change to alter the comment process. I am going to work on this (with the help of more knowledgeable folk) between now and Sunday. Hopefully I will be able to share how we have fixed our situation.

In the meantime, I have some wonderings. You might comment later. Please do so. In fact, I want your help. It seems the more I read the New Testament I am having more questions than I ever have had about the way Chistian faith as I have received it has been packaged. For the life of me I can't figure out how we have gotten where we are if we all are working from the New Testament. Do I hear someone already wondering if Clyde is becoming a heretic? No heretic here as long as we hold Jesus and his teachings and those of the ones he sent out into the world to make disciples as our starting place.

For instance. We readily use the word "gospel", good news, to reference something rather specific. What is the "gospel"? Usually it is linked solidly to a plan of salvation and that we are all included in it by the grace of God. We are so solidly linked to the concept of "gospel" that our alignment as "evangelicals" is using a word extracted directly from the Greek word for "gospel" - "euangelion". We are literally "good newsers". What would your definition of "gospel" be? If we are "gospelers" we should be able to explain it. If cornered and asked for an explanation (which Scripture tells us we should be able to do) of the "gospel" what would you say. I'll offer mine soon. I've been working on it. I'm going to try to make the fix happen so that you can comment here. I would love to hear from you even before Sunday. If you can't comment here I would love to hear from you by email, clydenolanparker@gmail.com.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Clyde,

    Tech details first: The background color you have chosen for your blog entries is pretty to my mind but might be hard for some people to read.

    Spiritual details next: Yesterday I heard a Christian radio talk program while in the car. I was struck by the vocabulary, rhythm, and voice tones the commentators were using. I have heard it over and over on Christian shows and especially among women. I find myself bothered by it and wondering how someone casually coming across it would react? I consider again if this is the way we must sound, think, and come across as Christians? Cuz I sure don't sound like that.

    Sharing concepts, vocabulary and a basic somewhat common understanding of the meaning of words is important for people to be able to love, to work, and to live together. However, our task as Christians-followers of Jesus-disciples- is to make sure we are seeking *His* concepts, understanding and vocabulary. Even more, that we are seeking Him. I am concerned that we overuse certain words and assume what those words might mean to others. I worry that these words, voice tones and assumptions make an in group and an out group.

    As far as the word gospel goes, there is lots more good news than only salvation by formula. Gospel is a HUGE topic.

    Just thinking on a white little screen here. It would be a lot more fun and instructive to be in person. :-)

    "I dare not trust the sweetest frame but solely lean on Jesus' name."

    Sue Scott

    ReplyDelete